Collaborate with people who are not using a Google account in Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Sites
- August 31, 2020: The setting to control sharing with people who are not using a Google account will begin to appear in the Admin console. This setting may be on or off by default depending on your current settings. See “Getting started” below to learn more. This setting will not start taking effect for users until September 8, 2020 (for Rapid release domains) or September 28, 2020 (for Scheduled release domains).
- September 8, 2020: Users in Rapid Release domains will be able to use the new feature, if enabled by their admin.
- September 28, 2020: Users in Scheduled Release domains will be able to use the new feature, if enabled by their admin.
Why you’d use it
- Rich collaboration—including comments, edits, and more—with anyone you need to work with, regardless of whether they have a Google account.
- Audit logging for collaboration with visitors, so that all interactions are monitored and recorded.
- Ability to revoke access and remove collaborators as needed.
- Reduced need to download, email, or create separate files to work with external users who don’t have Google accounts.
- Sharing outside of your organization to users with non-Google accounts will be ON by default if you currently allow users in your organization to send sharing invitations to people outside your organization who are not using a Google account.
- Sharing outside of your organization to users with non-Google accounts will be OFF by default if you currently do not do not allow sharing outside your organization, or use domain whitelisting, Use our Help Center to learn more about sharing to non-Google accounts.
- Visitor sharing will be controlled by new settings at Admin console > Apps > G Suite > Drive and Docs > Sharing Settings. See image below. The new settings can be controlled at the domain or OU level.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Full rollout (1-3 days for feature visibility) starting on August 31, 2020
- Available to G Suite Business, G Suite Enterprise, G Suite for Education, G Suite Enterprise for Education, G Suite for Nonprofits, and G Suite Essentials customers
- Not available to G Suite Basic, Cloud Identity customers, or users with personal accounts