New integrated view for Gmail features email, Google Meet, Google Chat, and Spaces in one place
We’re introducing a new, integrated view for Gmail, making it easy to move between critical applications like Gmail, Chat, and Meet in one unified location.
We’ll introduce this new experience according to this timeline:
Beginning February 8, 2022:
- Users can opt-in to test the new experience, allowing them to try it out and become more accustomed to it. Users can revert to classic Gmail via settings.
- We will share an update on the Google Workspace Updates Blog, along with Help Center content, once rollout begins.
By April 2022:
- Users who have not opted-in will begin seeing the new experience by default, but can revert to classic Gmail via settings.
By the end of Q2 2022:
- This will become the standard experience for Gmail, with no option to revert back.
- Around the same time, users will also begin seeing the new streamlined navigation experience on Chat web (mail.google.com/chat).
- Important Note: This also means users will not have the option to configure Chat to display on the right side of Gmail.
We will share more information on the exact timing of these phases on the Workspace Updates blog. See below for more information.
Why you’d use it
When enabled, the new navigation menu allows you to easily switch between your inbox, important conversations, and join meetings without having to switch between tabs or open a new window.
Notification bubbles make it easy to stay on top of what immediately needs your attention. When working in Chat and Spaces, you can view a full list of conversations and Spaces within a single screen, making it easier to navigate to and engage.
When working in your inbox, you’ll be able to view the full array of Mail and Label options currently available in Gmail today.
In the coming months, you will also see email and chat results when using the search bar, making it easier to find what you need by eliminating the need to search within a specific product.
We hope this new experience makes it easier for you to stay on top of what’s important and get work done faster in a single, focused location. Further, this will help reduce the need to switch between various applications, windows, or tabs.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be OFF by default and can be enabled by the user from their Gmail settings.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on February 8, 2022
- Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility starting on February 22, 2022
Note: We will share an update on the Google Workspace Updates Blog, along with Help Center content, once rollout begins.
- Available to Google Workspace Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, Frontline, and Nonprofits, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers
Google Workspace Updates
Post a Comment