New smart canvas features in Google Docs
In 2021, Google launched smart canvas to drive the next era of collaboration in Google Workspace. Google is now announcing new smart canvas features that will create a more flexible, interactive, and intelligent experience, enhancing the content and connections that fuel collaboration across Google Workspace.
You can now:
- Add a summary to your document, giving readers a high level overview of its content.
- Note: For some Google Workspace editions, you’ll see automatically generated summary suggestions in certain cases. See below for availability.
- Create pageless documents in Docs, making it easier to collaborate on documents with wide tables, large images, and more.
You can read more about these features on the Google Cloud Blog.
Summaries in Docs provide a brief overview of the main points in a document, so you can quickly parse the information that matters and prioritize where to focus. You can also edit the summaries, or create your own.
Pageless format in Docs gives teams more space to collaborate, helping to create an uninterrupted flow of information for both writers and viewers, as well as adding more horizontal space for content like tables and images.
Pageless formatting and summaries
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Plus, Frontline, and Nonprofits.
Google Workspace Updates